Tuesday 13 September 2011

Transitions

Watching my son navigate his way through the schoolground holding hands with a little friend, knowing he is feeling excited and scared about going to school has me thinking about all the first times in our lives.  A niece recently started college, a friend's son highschool.  My Dad contemplates moving from his house to a senior's apartment.  All of these changes are a transition from one place or phase to another, and each involves firsts: first days, first friends, first visits, first classes.  They all also involve being in unfamiliar territory.  For my son I don't believe it is as important that he become comfortable in kindergarten as much as it is that he learn the process of moving from familiar to unfamilair territory.  And learn, or course, that every transition is easier when you hold the hand of a friend.

No comments: